Contact Us

St. Charles, IL Attorneys for College Expense Support

Kane County Educational Expenses Lawyers

Kane County Non-Minor Child Support Lawyers

Following a divorce, determining which parent will be responsible for paying child support and how much he or she will be obligated to pay can be complicated at times. Cases involving minor children tend to be more straightforward, but they are far from the only type of situation that may result in a support order. There are others in which a child support obligation may continue beyond the child’s attainment of the age of majority and graduation from high school. This could potentially include one or both parents being required to contribute toward the child’s educational expenses. The experienced child support attorneys at Bochte, Kuzniar & Navigato, P.C., are ready to assist you throughout any support-related proceedings.

Considerations for College Expenses in Illinois

According to the law in Illinois, sums of money to assist with a child’s educational expenses may be awarded out of the income and property of either or both parents. This could potentially include the estate of a deceased parent, depending on the circumstances of the case. In making such an award, a court is expected to take into account:

  • The current and future financial resources of each parent and their needs, including savings for retirement;
  • The financial resources of the child;
  • The child’s academic performance;
  • The standard of living the child could have reasonably expected if the parents had remained together; and
  • Any other factor that is reasonable and necessary.

The law specifically excludes the child from filing a petition for educational expense support, permitting only the parents or their representatives to do so. Our team is here to help you no matter which side of such a proceeding you may be on.

Eligible Educational Expenses

The costs associated with a college or other post-secondary education can be extremely high, especially without some measure of control applied. For this reason, as well as to ensure consistency in court proceedings, the law provides criteria for determining what type of expenses are eligible for support considerations. Eligible educational expense include:

  • Tuition and fees, which, except for good cause shown, may not exceed those of a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;
  • Housing expenses, which, except for good cause shown, may not exceed those of room and board for a standard student room and meal plan at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;
  • Medical expenses, including insurance;
  • Reasonable living expenses, including food, utilities, and transportation incurred during the school year and periods of recess; and
  • Books and other necessary supplies.

The law also provides that eligible expenses must be incurred by an unmarried child, under the age of 23 (25 with good cause shown), who has not yet earned a bachelor’s degree, and maintains at least a C average.

Let Us Help With Your Support Case

A proceeding regarding the support of a non-minor child for educational expenses can be very complex, and it is vital to have trustworthy legal representation. No matter how complicated your family’s situation may be, you deserve personal attention from a team dedicated to protecting your best interests. Contact Bochte, Kuzniar & Navigato, P.C. today by calling 630-377-7770 to schedule a free consultation. We are proud to serve the needs of families in Kane, Kendall, DeKalb and DuPage Counties, and throughout the surrounding areas.

Practice Areas

Contact Us

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.